2/14/2008

YL Talk

Thought I’d post my YL talk from last night. It’s funny to me how scripted I get prior to the talk, but then I kinda improvise along the way. Anyhow...the talk went well. It was fun to play the song for Kristine.  There’s a video of me playing the song from a different show... at http://thehuntons.blogspot.com/2008/01/stephens-show-baby-i-love-way.html


“So...tomorrow’s the big day huh? Anybody got a hot date?  Yes? No?  Well, either way love is definitely in the air, but tomorrow Kristine and I are having a little Valentines Day shin dig with some other married couples, so it’ll be pretty low key. We are however, planning a hot date for Friday night.  Adler’s gonna hang out with the baby sitter, so it’ll be kinda nice to eat dinner without having food thrown all over the floor around us.

Anyway, a lot of ya’ll know that Kristine and I have been married for over 5 years, but you may not know that we actually dated in high school.  In fact, this year will actually be our 10th Valentines Day together...and just to make it special I wore the shirt that Kristine gave me for our very first Valentine’s day in 1998.  What’s sad is that thinking about that makes me feel SUPER old because most of you were just getting to kindergarden or elementary school back then.  ANYWAY, pity party for 1 over.

So, it being Valentines Day and all, I thought I would turn up the romance a bit and play a song that I wrote for Kristine a couple weeks ago. I won’t ruin it by telling you the title, but it’s just a little song about how I feel about my lady.

Play song.

So, you may have guessed that the song’s called “Baby, I love the way” and it’s about all of the ways that I love Kristine. Not just the standard stuff like I love her because she’s a hottie (which she is) or because I feel warm and fuzzy around her (which I do), but even the little things she does that I love about her. Like the way she falls asleep during any movie we watch on the couch together, or how she’ll send me off to work with coffee made for me.  But beyond that I love her just for being her, and even when we get in disagreements I still love her because it’s her  

But the thing I wanted to talk for a second about is just how, like the song I wrote for Kristine that tells her how I feel, the bible is God’s love song to us.  There are so many parts of the bible where God talks about knowing us and loving us, and I just wanted to read a couple of ‘em.

Ephesians 2:4-5
 4But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

Romans 5:8
but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 139
1 O LORD, you have searched me
       and you know me.
 2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
       you perceive my thoughts from afar.
 13 For you created my inmost being;
       you knit me together in my mother's womb.

And if you wanted a chorus, I think that verse 14 would be pretty good.

 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
       your works are wonderful,
       I know that full well.

To me it’s so cool that we have this book to show us how much God loves all of us.  I mean the fact that He would sacrifice his Son for us is pretty mind blowing and I guess my challenge for you tonight is that once you’re done thinkin about tomorrow’s hot date or what you’re gonna wear or how you’re gonna play it cool and put your arm around her take a second to think about this love song.  I mean, I can see Kristine’s reaction to each song I write for her, whether she tears up, or hugs me or just says she loves it, but tonight think about how you want to respond to this love song that was written for you.

2 comments:

and 2 became 5 8:20 PM  

Not totally sure how I ended up reading your blog, but it's great! I'm a semi-retired YL leader & attend Buckhead as well. Anyway, love your work & wondering if we could get in touch with you sometime to possilby photograph our family? Thanks! And great YL talk :)

Anonymous,  4:06 PM  

SO sweet!!!!!!

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP