5/06/2006

Stevo's latest Music Reviews vol.2

Well, I guess I've got a lot of ground to cover seeing that I'm just starting this whole blog thing, and my list of musical favorites continues to grow.

JOSH ROUSE

Where to begin? Josh is probably my current favorite artist, flat out. I've seen him live twice and have almost every album he's put out. His live shows are amazing because he is so engaging and the way he projects his voice emotionally just draws you in. I'd have to say that my favorite album he's released is "72", but am also a huge fan of "Nashville". Plus, his newest album "Subtitulo" just released a few weeks ago, and from what I've heard, it's another winner. Below you'll notice a video of "Quiet Town", his first video from the new album. (background: Josh has been living in Spain for the past year or two, having moved from Nashville, so the video shows some of his current country.

Basically, Rouse is 2006 Motown...funky, chill, current and past. He's got such a knack for storytelling through his lyrics but dynamically his music takes you on a ride. Just give him a chance at www.joshrouse.com or on iTunes and I'll bet you'll agree with me.


CITIZEN COPE
One of my latest finds, although he's been around a while now, Citizen Cope is a totally original artist that uses hints of hip-hop, R&B, reggae, rock, etc to do something really cool. Check out "Night Becomes Day" and "Bullet and a Target" first and then buy the cd if you like it. You won't be disappointed, unless your a "good music hater". :) just kidding.

SONDRE LERCHE

So take a moment, go to iTunes and buy everything Sondre Lerche. He's a native of Norway, who's evidently HUGE overseas, but I think people are just starting to catch onto him here. He's sort of a Ray LaMontagne figure, with a sound that's headed more towards quartet sounds and a Frank Sonatra vibe, wheras LaMontagne is more soulful. He just released a new album called "Duper Session" which is very retro and a clear throwback to some of the classic/retro sounds of the '50s. I haven't really dived into it yet, but will once the money tree sprouts some new leaves..."Two Way Monologue", his album from 2005 is the one I've got...and I love it. "Track You Down" is my favorite song of his, so start there to get a feel for why I like him.

Happy Listening

2 comments:

Patrick Hunton 1:33 PM  

This is like the post of all the music you've stolen or borrowed from me... minus Citizen Cope (who I'm only so-so for).

Sondre Lerche has one of the most amazing voices I've heard in a long time... especially if you get to see him live.

Josh Rouse... what can I say... I love the man. Be sure to check out his Bedroom Classics Vol. 2 on iTunes (or your local indie store IF they are lucky enough to carry it)... very mellow.

Stephen Hunton 10:10 PM  

I didn't steal...I borrowed. :) I'll cut you silly boy.

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP